Sunday, July 12, 2015

One Year Update!

It has been one year since I returned to the hobby and started this blog. Without a doubt, this has been the most productive and enjoyable year of 40k since my brothers and I were in junior high and middle school.

Accomplished this year:

  • Built a 6' x 4' gaming table in a frozen desert theme
  • Built enough terrain for the table, including the communications tower
  • 3 Shoota boyz
  • Warboss
  • Skorcha sled
  • 10 'Ard boyz
  • Painboy
  • 2 Grotz 
  • Nob with power klaw
  • Trukk with extended bed
  • Mega trukk
  • 3 Meganobz
  • 7 Tankbustas
  • Played 7 games from between 550 and 1150 points, all with fully-painted Orks!
  • Created battle reports for all the games


A rough, quick estimate off the top of my head comes to about 650+ pts of painted Orks plus the table and terrain. Definitely by far the most I have ever accomplished in one year, and the highest quality stuff I have ever made.

And the best part has been that my brothers have been back in the hobby and contribute using to this blog with me. Although Bill hasn't done much of anything on the painting side, we at least got in an enjoyable game at Christmas that he really should have won. Pete has been doing an excellent job on his chapter, cranking out more painted miniatures than ever before and painting them to the highest quality he has ever done. I'm really looking forward to playing some games with him with fully painted armies on both sides on fully painted terrain! That is something we only ever dreamed of when we were kids playing 2nd Edition.

I'm sure our pace of painting and gaming will have to slow down in the year ahead with each of us about to have a new baby, but with a gaming table done and the cores of our armies painted, all we need to do is slowly add things in order to play bigger games and have more variety.

Wishlist for the year ahead:

  • Build a bigger table or a second smaller table that can be combined with the current one.  I want to have a lot of room for both armies to maneuver so they aren't packed together. I think a minimum of 8' x 5' would be good. It will also let us play bigger games and even bring in super heavies eventually.
  • Finish my half-done units of bikes and buggies by adding more of each. Bikes are next. 
  • Add another transport so I have one for the 'Ard Boyz, Meganobz and Tankbustas. I'd like to find the rules for some Forge a World transports like Gun Wagons  or Mek Junkas. 
  • Get more terrain so there is some variety between games. Since I don't have time at the moment, I ordered some terrain for a reasonable price from a Polish guy that he's mailing to me! Globalization! Let's hope it looks decent when it gets here. 
  • Create more story for the campaign and introduce some special rules and scenarios to tie the games together. Up until now, it has been fun enough just to play. But with our armies pretty static from game to game (until we paint more), we need some various scenarios to keep the games more variable. 
  • Eventually, paint up some Imperial Guard with Pete to add another faction, give us painting variety, and add more flavor to the campaign. 
It has been a really fun year and I'm looking forward to more great hobby time with my brothers. We don't get many chances to get together, but in the meantime, I have all the great hobby sites like Dakka and Warseer to keep me engaged and motivated. 

And lastly, thanks to everyone who has read and commented on this blog over the past year.  The encouragement definitely helps keep me going. 






2 comments:

  1. Cheers to a helluva year!! What a great hobby, but made so much more enjoyable because it's shared among us brithers. Your passion is contagious and keeps me excited for what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we're doing it together or it would be a lot less fun. This hobby actually works well with the fact that we only get together every few months because it gives us lots of time to model and paint in between games so we always have new units and terrain for every battle.

      Delete