Monday, July 6, 2015

Tankbusta 7: Boom

The last of my first batch of seven tankbustas is Boom, the demolition expert. He is the youngest of the mob and also has a touch of mek blood, which makes him excellent at improvising devastating explosives from salvaged and looted materials. He loves nothing better than building tankbusta bombz for his mates and exploding the biggest targets he can find. Unfortunately, he probably has a very short life expectancy, but there is no other way he would rather go out than in the midst of a giant tank erupting.


I was going for a pose of an all-out throw while running since that thing looks damn heavy.

I always use shoulder pads to cover ugly gaps where I attach arms to a bare torso since you don't have the natural break point of the shirt-to-skin contact. I also try to add straps so it doesn't look like the shoulder pads are just floating on the arms. I think these (made from thin plastic strips) turned out pretty well!


In case you are wondering about the realism of that giant bundle of stikkbombz, it is based on the Geballte Ladung ("baled charge") used by the Germans in WWII as an improvised anti-tank charge. It consisted of six stick grenades bound around a center one and I just tried to replicate it. I found it while googling how stick grenades work and instantly knew I had to make one for my tankbustas! I think that thing could take out a tank if you hit it in the right place.






I like that the face has pins hanging from his teeth and horns from all the stikkbombz he is chucking!

And that is it for my tankbustas. I will start working on their bases while I plan out my next project. With the baby coming, I'm sure my pace will slow down quite a bit for a while. But I had a ton of fun making these tankbustas and I am happy with the amount of flavor and individuality the mob ended up with. I hope when I paint the bases that they will look OK (cohesive enough) together to call them a single unit. I don't know if seven is effective in game terms, but it is a start. As fun as they were to model, I will probably add some more eventually.

1 comment:

  1. Totally fantastic! Great action pose! And great job w the converting. I didn't have any problem w the bundle of stikkbombz; it seemed perfectly orky!

    ReplyDelete