Sunday, November 16, 2014

Quick Rock Pile

A quick update here. I painted up a small rock pile that can provide some hard cover for a few models (we actually used this piece of terrain in the last game, but the rocks were not painted so I haven't posted it yet). I realized I have a lot of large terrain pieces such as buildings and hills to break up movement lanes and lines of sight, but not much that can actually provide cover while still allowing a model to fire at the oncoming enemy. This little rock pile is step toward balancing the types and sizes of terrain on the table. It doesn't cover more than a handful of models so I'll have to make another one or two that are similar, but a bit larger to accommodate larger units.



4 comments:

  1. Looks good. I like that you're trying to provide a mix of terrain sizes and functions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most cover saves come from area terrain, like ruins. Models don't need to physically concealed to count as being in cover since it's implied that they are crouching and otherwise taking cover. They way we used to play, crouching down to see if a piece of terrain physically concealed a target, is not actually correct. I think I mentioned I saw a battle report in which a monstrous creature was standing IN FRONT of a section of ruins w just the edge of it's base touching and it counted as having cover. I'm not suggesting we go that far but we'll have to establish exactly what 'being in cover' is. I think cover saves are essential to keep shooting from getting too powerful in games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, ruins, forests and craters are area terrain that provide a cover save just for being in the area. I suppose a big rocky area or something like that could be a piece of area terrain, but I haven't really made anything like that yet. I have only made small, rocky pieces like this and large hills. We do need a nice variety of cover and terrain so I will have to make a big piece of land with scattered rocks or a ruin or something like that for area terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah just pushing a bunch of rubble pieces together could create area terrain. I think I still have those pieces of a crashed ship in that box in casey's basement.

    ReplyDelete