Friday, November 14, 2014

'Ard as Nails

No new posts for a while because I was out of town for work last week, but I just finished the next batch of 'Ard Boyz, bringing the mob total up to eight. These guys were mostly modeled many, many years ago so some of the conversions are pretty rough. I sure could have used a little green stuff here and there. But since I was young and no good with it, I tried to cover most of my ugly gaps with chains! I think they mostly look fine since you generally look at them more from above than from below, where you can see the arm pit gaps.

I like the rusty weapons. Much more proppa' than my previous mobs of boyz.

 Knuckle guard in case you have to bash faces up close and personal.

I like the double shoulder plates. Extra 'ard!

 His bayonet is actually tied to his slugga.

Look at that choppa. Extra choppy! 


Using two hands to be extra choppy! This was one that was originally supposed to be a Skar Boy back in Third Edition (two hands to represent the +1 STR), but a few armor plates and he makes a fine 'Ard Boy. 

Don't worry; he still has a slugga. What you see is what you get!

 The four newest boyz are ready to rumble.

The full mob of eight. Two left to paint!

4 comments:

  1. Magnificent! Now those are some sweet sci-fi baddies! Fantasy orcs got nuthin' on 40k 'orks'. I do envy being able to model unique individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, brother. Each model being unique definitely makes the modeling and painting more interesting, but the downside is that they take longer to paint because I have to think about how to paint each section of each model instead of just automatically knowing which colors to apply where. But it also allows me to try out different painting techniques since each model is not supposed to look exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. What you consider when painting a single guy would be a whole squad for me. It does make it easier to crank 'em out though. Plus, tyranids are a coldly logical race and every creature is an expendable chess piece. I won't be bummed when that really cool guy w the complex conversions gets blown up. Everyone is cannon fodder born just to get the job done.

      Delete
  3. Even mindless chess pieces can have complex conversions and awesome paint jobs so you are not necessarily safe from the strategic weakness of wanting to see your favorite model survive/do well on the battlefield at the expense of making the smart play!

    Plus, when playing Orks, I know that my boyz will get mowed down left and right. If I got stressed over their deaths, I would not have much fun playing 40k! Orks are a lot like 'Nids in that you go into a battle knowing that many will die, but so what? There are countless more for the next battle.

    ReplyDelete