Thursday, March 2, 2023

White Scars Rhinos

I added two new Rhinos to the one I already had painted. I figure every unit of the V Legion would want some form of extra mobility, other than maybe Recon marines. 

One of these was the Forge World resin conversion kit for the old Rhino and one is the new plastic Deimos kit. I hate to say it, but I actually liked putting together the Forge World resin kit better than the new plastic kit. Although I do like the new plastic kit design of the treads and hunter-killer missile better.

I added the Forge World V Legion doors to both. 

I gave each one an optional hunter-killer missle. The Rhino with the heavy bolter has one that is magnetized and can be swapped for smoke launchers. The Rhino with the twin-linked bolters has its missile on a pin, stuck in a mounting hole, and it can be swapped for a generic radar. This will let me remove the missile when it is fired to help remember if it has been spent, or allow me to leave it off if I need to save the points. 

For the painting, I went with pure white with no highlights or shading. Instead, I black lined all recesses to create the contrast to make the details stand out on the white. I tried a new technique with a paint brush pen and the lines were quite thick, but it was faster than a conventional brush and the line width was more uniform. It looks a bit wonky when you are very close up, but looks great from a distance. The final picture with all three tanks that is just a little more zoomed out looks much better than all of these zoomed in photos. I am not sure yet if I will replicate this on future tanks or try to use a brush for thinner lines. 

After painting, I added the decals and then I sponged on dark grey battle damage/paint chipping. I then added dust, dirt, soot and rust to give the look of equipment that has been in years of active service in battle.

This one has obviously had some field modifications for extra protection.


Rhino number X

This one does not have the dozer blade, so I decorated the front a bit.

With smoke launchers instead of hunter-killer missile.

Rhino number I


Dozer blade


With optional hunter-killer missile from original kit


I left this one with the option to drop the rear ramp

All three side by side! 

Rhinos are not too tough and they can provide easy kill points to your opponent, but they are just fun to play with and against. And they are such a part of the look and feel of space marines and Heresy that I want to make sure they are well represented in our campaign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment