Monday, June 17, 2019

Terrain: Quick Ridge Line

For Father's Day, I told the kids I wanted us to make some terrain together so they helped me with this quick project. When cleaning out the garage the other day, I found a box of model trees that I must have had for over ten years, waiting to be turned into a terrain project so here was the perfect opportunity. This project went from raw materials to finished over the course of a few hours spread throughout the day. I cut and shaped some styrofoam with an electric cutter, one piece for the ridge and another for the base. Glued them together with white glue. Then stuck on a bit of putty here and there to break up the flat features slightly. The kids then helped me by sticking on some rocks with hot glue and then spreading white glue all over and sprinkling sand on it. I primed it a sand color and gave it a couple of quick coats with some tan and gray craft paints. Then we got the pre-assembled trees out and stuck them into the foam with hot glue. Simple, but effective.

The crew busy spreading glue and sand.

Each ridge is long enough to give cover to a normal-sized squad. The two together make a nice ridge line. 



The hills are just the right height for a model to shoot over.




Hopefully the trees don't fall apart due to handling the pieces for games. I am thinking of adding a few tufts of grass to make it a bit more realistic since it is pretty rare that only one type of plant is growing anywhere alone (at least on Earth). But they are basically game-ready as-is. I only wish I could knock out a model anywhere nearly as quickly as a piece of terrain!

No comments:

Post a Comment