Thursday, October 16, 2014

The deadly spiked forests of Xhorik Prime


The first native plants of Xhorik Prime now have appropriate alien coloring. I'm happy with the way they turned out. I think the reds and purples give a sufficiently un-earthy feel and I really like the spikey shapes with the long, curved tendrils. I think they will fit in well with the theme of an inhospitable environment that is starting to come together. A suitable battleground indeed!

Here is the first batch; about enough for one or two small clusters of vegetation. The pictures are decent, but you will like them better when you see them in person because you will be better able to see the shades of red and purple that make them look more natural.




I think we should use something like the old rules for forests where you get a 5+ save for soft cover if you are at the edge of the forest, but that 2" - 3" of forest is enough to block line of sight, even if you can sort of see through the gaps, because you have to assume there is additional undergrowth, etc. I also think we should consider possibly counting these things as dangerous terrain for infantry if you try moving through them due to the large spikes. Let me know what you guys think.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Well done- like the vicious plants in oblivion! Perfect alien flora. I wonder what other plantlife inhabits the planet. Say, what are they, prey tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, being at the edge of a forest should confer a 5+ cover save. Units don't need to be physically blocked by terrain to get the cover save since it's implied models are ducking down or even going prone to maximize concealment. In that battle report i watched, a tyranid MONSTROUS creature got a cover save by merely having the edge of it's base touching some ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trees are just weeds that I picked from the edge of the woods. I snapped off the stems and painted them up. I hope the paint helps seal them and keeps them from decomposing. We'll see if they stand the test of time.

    But the biggest question is whether they are native plants or the harbingers of a Tyranid invasion!

    ReplyDelete